I’m sitting here munching on some applesauce and thinking about my day. Although I’m currently fighting a cold (again) and my throat feels like I’ve been gargling with battery acid, aside from that I’ve really got a lot to be thankful for. I decided to write this blog because I’ve been having some pretty fabulous experiences lately. It’s easy to get in a funk sometimes and easy to forget about all the cool shit that makes this life awesome. So, I came up with ten reasons why I’m thankful to be living the life I do. Some things are standard… others aren’t. Even the simplest pleasures can make every day rad… it’s just about taking a moment to remember what those pleasures are.
1. My morning coffee. There is nothing like kickin’ it on my bed enjoying some Mystic Monk java in the morning before I have to go to work. It tastes like heaven… especially the Amaretto with a bit of honey added in. I’m not a morning person at all and whenever 5:30am comes around, I generally want to punch it in the face. My coffee curbs my morning attitude problem.
2. Cheesy songs from my childhood. I am not ashamed to admit that I’m currently bumpin’ the Backstreet Boys and singing (as much as my sick ass can) along while bouncing around on my bed. I haven’t listened to these guys since I was probably about 13. I had a good childhood and songs like these remind me of those times. Don’t put it past me to put Hanson’s “MMMBOP!” on the speakers here in a second.
3. My friends. My core group of friends are more like family. There are those people who, no matter where we live, when we see each other it’s like we were never apart even if it’s been years. Since I’ve moved to D-town, I can’t tell you how many times a friend has dropped by to take care of me when I was sick (whether from a cold or way too much tequila). The homies in CA did that too, but it’s a long drive for them nowadays.
4. Green olives. I’ve developed an affinity for these little things. They’re delicious. Thanks for that, Chanelle.
5. Writing. I get to do it every day now. Whether it’s journaling or writing content for my job, I do something I love every day. I’ve dropped out of college four times and vocational school twice because I was studying things that, in retrospect, never fueled my fire as much as writing does. Writing comes naturally and I truly believe that I was meant to do this.
6. My family. What a crazy bunch of people. My big brother and I can never take a nice picture together. My mom, dad, and stepmom love me no matter what kind of shenanigans I get myself into. The little bro is smart as hell and more like me than either one of us probably care to admit… and my sister, we are so opposite of each other that it’s kind of endearing. We’ve all got our quirks and for whatever reason, they work together. It’s pretty awesome to be part of this family.
7. The smell of wet cement. Or rain in general, really. It smells fresh and it puts me in a good mood. Even if I’m already in a good mood, it puts me in a better one.
8. My little apartment. It’s my home. It’s my sanctuary… I love being here. It may not be much, but it’s one of my favorite places to be.
9. My health. Yeah, I’m sick right now… but on most days I’m not. I’m healthy enough to ride my skateboard nearly every day. I can go out and enjoy good food and spend time with family and friends without worrying about being too sick to leave the house or injured in a way that would prevent me from doing those things. There are a lot of people who aren’t able to experience that…
10. Hats. I love my hats. Fedoras. Beanies. Paperboy hats. They look good on me. They compliment my outfits… and they just freakin’ make me happy.
While I could go on and on about all the things that make my life awesome, I’d like to hear about what makes yours awesome. Make your own list. Maybe share them with me in the comments section. I’d love to know about the simple things that make you smile.